Friday, March 27, 2009

Not Such A Spring Chicken Soup

Well, most of the world knows anyway, so I thought I would share with you all too. I am soon to be 40. Yes, the big 4-0 has finally found me. This week's Bubba night dinner was actually a surprise, and I did not do any of the cooking!



My birthday is on March 28, which is a Saturday this year. I only see Bubba on Wednesdays, and the occasional Tuesday night. He was home early this week so we cooked on Tuesday night, as he was going to a sailing seminar on Wednesday; or so I thought. Unbenownst to me, Bubba actually spent the day Wednesday painting and hanging giant (think sheets) signs up at my house proclaiming to the world that I would in fact be turning 40 on 3-28. When I came home from school, I noticed the signs right away, and as I walked in the door I also noticed the enticing smells coming from my kitchen! Bubba was working on dinner already; a homemade chicken noodle soup creation to celebrate spring and my 40th birthday. Combine the two and you have "Not Such a Spring Chicken Soup."

The original inspiration for our soup came from a recipe on Suite101.com. You can find the original recipe here if you want to:

http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/chicken_noodle_soup

The rotisserie chicken breast gives this chicken soup a deeper flavor. Be sure to taste the soup before you season it.




Our recipe took into consideration the addition of a few other vegetables (kids - gotta sneak veggies in where you can!), and food my sensitivities. I might be biased, but our version turned out great, and kid #2 even tried several new veggies that were in the broth!

"Not Such A Spring Chicken" Soup

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups water
1 leek, diced
3 celery ribs, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 or 2 colored bell peppers
3 roma tomatoes
3/4 cup frozen corn
5 or so baby bella mushrooms
1 parsnip, sliced
6 oz. medium egg noodles
1-1/2 cups cooked Rotisserie chicken breast, cut or shredded into large bite sized chunks

Bring chicken broth and water to a boil in a large stockpot or dutch oven.

Add onion, celery, carrots bell peppers, tomatoes, corn, mushrooms, and parsnips.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes.

Add egg noodles and allow to simmer 15 more minutes or until noodles are cooked.

Add chicken and heat 5 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper to taste (at the table).



The soup, as I mentioned turned out very well. We served ours with a fresh loaf a bread which was great for soaking up that last bit of broth. This recipe made plenty of soup for dinner (more than one helpings for some) with enough leftovers for 3 or more lunches. The next time we make it, I might throw in a little spinach too for another veggie serving.



This is a great recipe for anyone to try........



So Cook Already!

No comments:

Post a Comment